Is your teenager Picasso in the making? Are you living with the next Vivienne Westwood? Encourage and inspire your Child's creativity and develop their artistic design skills at Perth Museum and Art Gallery Young Designers Summer School.
Encourage your Child's creatvitiy and inspire them to future Careers with this Summer School for wannabe young designers. A fun and experimental series of workshops inspired by the museum's collections. Let your teenagers explore their design potential and develop their own artistic footprint through workshops with creative design, contemprary architecture, costume design, creative writing and filmmaking.
For ages 11-18, booking essential.
JULY 31ST - DAY TICKET £28 Plus booking fee
Day 1: Sketching and Thinking:
- Tour of the galleries by museum staff for participants
- Drawing and word games to create imaginary buildings for imaginary cities and discuss the ideal home for museum objects
- Using large-scale rolls of paper, paint and drawing materials you will map out potential buildings for a new, futuristic city
- You will learn and practice techniques for drawing where the emphasis is on experimentation and mark-making as opposed to detailed architectural drawing
AUGUST 1ST - DAY TICKET £28 Plus booking fee
Day 02: Modelling and Imagination
- Using wooden blocks and balsa wood, you will make 3-D models of the Culture PK buildings, using their drawings as a guide
- You will watch a series of short clips of video works by the American artist Tony Ousler, who uses performance and humour to bring objects to life (a monologue by a Meteorite, for example, who explains his turbulent journey to Earth)
- You will then use word association games to start to think of the narrative story of the buildings you have started to create
- More time to build and enhance your models
AUGUST 2ND - DAY TICKET £28 Plus Booking Fee
Day 03: Costumes, Film Making and Celebration
- Using a range of materials, you will work on transforming your model building from Day 2 into a wearable costume or a bigger model to be part of a lit cityscape
- Continue to make your costumes/buildings and film short pieces-to-camera about who the building is, how it feels, what it houses etc
- Group will split into two: one group will form a filmmaking team (sound/camera/lighting/movement) and the other group will form a production team (film poster/ info sheet for audience/ title cards for film)
- 16.00 - 18.00 - Celebration event: They will transform the space into a cinema and serve popcorn as we screen the final short film. The model city-scape will also be on display, lit from inside by LED lights.
Day tickets priced at £28 plus booking or £78 for the three day course. Booking essentail as spaces are limited