A brand new aqua-natal yoga class suitable from 17 weeks pregnant.
Classes are currently running on a Sunday at 17:30 at The Angus hotel in Blairgowrie. They last 45 minutes and cost £9 per session. Classes run in 5 week terms so they have to be booked in a block. They are suitable for ladies once they are past 14 weeks of pregnancy and the course is developed in association with Birthlight.
Aqua-yoga is the ideal form of exercise for pregnant women, irrespective of fitness levels and is great for maintaining fitness during pregnancy. During the course you will learn breathing techniques and positions that will be beneficial during labour. There are also a range of other physical and emotional benefits including;
- The water creates a discreet environment where ladies can exercise with low impact stress thanks to the resistance and buoyancy.
- It increases the efficiency of the nervous system
- Improves blood flow to the all-important pelvic area
- Detoxifies and moves fluids so it helps with swollen ankles and legs
- Stimulates the receptors to the skin
- Promotes hormonal balance
- Increases oxygen supply to match the increase in blood volume and cardiac output
- Strengthens the muscles and keeps the spine straight and supple – this helps with aching backs and is beneficial through the birth and recovery. As the bump gets bigger women often end up bending to compensate the weight increase which is one of the main causes of back pain.
- Classes also concentrate on strengthening the full hammock of muscles linked to the pelvic region (as well as the pelvic floor).
- Maintain the flexibility of the spine and joints – the water buoyancy means that pressure on the joints in reduced whilst the resistancy the water provides helps with flexibility and strengthening – basically pregnant women can do more with their bodies in the water than they can out of it.
- Facilitates bonding between mother and baby
- Promotes positive feelings and alleviates anxiety and depression –linked to exercise and breathing exercises leading to the body releasing ‘good mood hormones’ like oxytocin
- Classes are designed to be fun and a good way to meet other mums to be!
For more information, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to also like our Facebook page for the latest information and competitions.